Samp and Bean Soup with Mini Vetkoek
Yields 10 portions
- 2 onions
- 50 g butter
- 500 g sugar beans
- 500 g samp
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 pkt brown onion Royco soup
- 1 Knorrox beef stock cube
- ground black pepper
- 500 g flour
- 10 g dry yeast
- 5 g sugar
- 5 g salt
- 300 ml lukewarm water
- 1 litre vegetable oil
- Soak the sugar beans and samp overnight in water.
- Chop your onions and fry them with the butter in a big pot till caramelised.
- Strain the soaked samp and beans and wash under cold running water.
- Add the samp and beans to the onions and fry for another 10 min.
- Add enough water to cover the samp and beans and boil for half an hour.
- Peel and grate the carrots and potatoes and add to the samp and beans.
- Boil for a further 10 min and add the brown onion soup and beef stock cube.
- Boil for another 15 min and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients to form dough.
- Prove till double in size.
- Knock the dough down and form little vetkoekies, placing them on a floured surface to prove a second time.
- While the dough is proving for a second time, heat the oil in a medium-sized pot to between 160 and 180 °C.
- Fry the vetkoekies, a few at a time, till golden all over.
- Serve with the samp and bean soup and some butter.